As I’ve become more aware of my blogging and the time I’m putting to it, I started thinking about my blogging expending costs. The next day, as if somebody was reading my mind :/, I found an article about it online and decided it was time for this Frugalista to share her own views on this much forgotten topic!
As a blogger, these are some of the things I think we need, and we must make a budget for:
1. A Smartphone: Regardless If you’re an Iphone, BB or Droid kinda blogger, you need a smartphone! In this social media world where things can be updated in a second, is important to keep your readers update on what’s going on. In addition, is beneficial if you’re able to share your content on social platforms that could potentially broaden your audience. 🙂
2. A Computer/Tablet: Despite of what we all, I include myself, might what to think, there are things that Can’t be done through a phone. As much as I love blogging from my WordPress App, there are times that the pictures need to be adjusted or the content need to be fixed. Besides, not everybody can be on their phones all the time, and if you have readers that often use PCs, you want to make sure your posts look as good there as they do on the mobile version. 🙂
3. A Camera: I believe, for a fashion, travel or beauty blogger that’s a must. Now, not everybody needs a camera because some people blog from Polyvore or take images from google (hence the need for a PC), or use pics taken from their phone (like I do sometimes). However, the shots taken with a good camera will def make your content look more professional (tip to self!). 🙂
4. Internet: Wether Wi-Fi (bought or borrowed from the neighbor LOL), Broadband or Phone Data you need access to the web. When I moved, I couldn’t get the service right away and having to rely solely on my phone data was def a pain! It comes out cheaper to have the monthly service, or a neighbor that does, than going to starbucks or McD every day. 🙂
5. GAS/TRANSPORTATION: In a city like Miami you are nothing without a car or a good ride! The distances and the traffic here are insane. You can spend from 3+ hrs on travel time, going to and from a place.
In reality, you need to pay for gas or transportation (bus, ride, metro) to buy all those things you need for blogging and to go to events related to your blogging topic; also, if you need to attend business meetings in order to find ways to monetize your blog, get the word out about your services or simply just to network with potential clients or readers.
For Fashion Bloggers, to be able to buy or find clothes for outfits, and do research about the new trends or go-to stores, means of transportation is a must. As a blogger mom, this is my major issue because it implies leaving my children for longer periods of hours. Counting the about 3+hrs travel time to and from a place, the money on gas, and if you don’t have help, the money for a nanny, that could be the breaking the piggy bank reason. 🙂
6. Domain: Eventually, if you are really serious about your blogging, you have to get a domain! If you want to use your blog as a platform to show your skills or you are simply tired of typing the extra words (.wordpress/.blogspot, etc), getting a domain will make your life easier and your blog look more professional. 🙂
7. Business Cards: C’mon! they save trees, ink and time!! B.C are no brainers because we all want to look like Pros, network showing we know what we are doing, and besides give ourselves a little title! Which better excuse to do so than by getting customized business cards. I learned that all you need is an hour and a Staples and you are set! Getting a design made is awesome but it could get really expensive; so, just get an original background, an appropriate font and color scheme, and call it a day!!
Personally, although there are ways to gain money or goods from blogging, my mission has always been altruistic. I am aware that writing and blogging is not a really profitable path; however, is a very enriching one. The difference been that you might not make a dollar from it but, as my experience has taught me, you would for certain create bonds and relationships that might last you a lifetime, and that my blogger friends is Priceless!! 🙂
What Are Your Blogging Must-Haves? Share Your Blogging Spending Experience!
Remember: It’s Always a Matter of Class Not Cash!!